Monday, April 14, 2014

Labor Unions get involved in our Immigration Case

 
Over the weekend I was filmed & interviewed by the WSLC (Washington State Labor Council) who is assisting the AFLCIO (The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations) on a documentary about the need for immigration reform. The woman Kathy, who came to our house was very happy with how it went, and said she would contact reporters & her colleagues at Senator Murray's office on our behalf, share the film with them, and that people need to see our story. Being on camera is beginning to feel more comfortable, I'm sure in part because I was made to feel that "we are just having a conversation" and I'm able to ignore the spotlight in my face and microphone attached to me. At one point in the "conversation" I could see Kathy was also tearing up as I shared our family's story & struggle.  In all I was very encouraged by her concern and action.
I requested a meeting with Senator Patty Murray, again, and this time was told they will hang on to my request because "There are still many pieces in motion". This week the Seattle Times quoted Senator Murray saying "she had never seen this level and intensity of support for an individual" regarding Orcas Island citizen Ben Nunez-Marquez, who is scheduled to be deported this month, & "she has written to the Dept. of Homeland Security head (Jeh Johnson) asking for his help". Those pieces haven't yet come together to accomplish my family's return, but I press on knowing it will work together for good!
 
On the home front.....with 7+ months behind us and no forseeable end in sight (yet) Rafael, the girls & I have been Skyping more frequently. They woke me up at 6:15am, which is really early for me, but a wonderful way to start the day. That afternoon I was able to join them (via Skype) for dinner. Rafael said how nice it was to have dinner as a family. I agree, it really felt like I was involved until he stepped away to wash the dishes,  (one of the perks for me is no dishes) Catalina started dumping out her cup of water onto her tray, she just stared at me when I corrected her and continued playing with her water, suggesting "hehe what are you going to do? head-in-a-box mommy with no arms". While I'm not able to effectively discipline my daughters, it was a lot of fun playing peek-a-boo & singing with them before bedtime.
Maya has two weeks off of school so Rafael is taking the kids to the rural ranch house where they can get dirty playing and "rough it". I am so grateful they get to experience that life and extremely proud of my wonderful husband!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment